Their Eyes Were Watching God (Audio) - Zora Neale Hurston, Ruby Dee I love classics! What a treat listening to Hurston's writing narrated by Ruby Dee. She really does an amazing job bringing Janie's world to life. I'm so glad I listened to this on audiobook instead of reading it. I suspect I would have had a difficult time getting into the vernacular, since I kept starting & stopping reading this book, to be able to enjoy the true poetic lyricism of Hurston's writing. A must listen!! I have already gone back to relisten to the first 20 minutes of it to see what I may have missed. I can definitely see listening to this again. There are so many amazing poetic moments & quotes. In the first chapter, less than 30 minutes in, is one of the best descriptions of a girl on the cusp of becoming a woman & going thru puberty I have ever heard! Hurston somehow removes the self conscious awkwardness & leaves the wonder of a woman's body blossoming into adulthood.Some of my favorite quotes:"Love is lak de sea. It’s uh movin’ thing, but still and all, it takes its shape from de shore it meets, and it’s different with every shore.” “Even wid dem overhalls on, you show yo’ womanhood.”“There are years that ask questions and years that answer.” “Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board. For some they come in with the tide. For others they sail forever on the same horizon, never out of sight, never landing until the Watcher turns his eyes away in resignation, his dreams mocked to death by Time. That is the life of men. Now, women forget all those things they don't want to remember, and remember everything they don't want to forget. The dream is the truth. Then they act and do things accordingly.” “Janie looked down on him and felt a self-crushing love. So her soul crawled out from its hiding place.” “She was stretched on her back beneath the pear tree soaking in the alto chant of the visiting bees, the gold of the sun and the panting breath of the breeze when the inaudible voice of it all came to her. She saw a dust-bearing bee sink into the sanctum of a bloom; the thousand sister-calyxes arch to meet the love embrace and the ecstatic shiver of the tree from root to tiniest branch creaming in every blossom and frothing with delight.” “Oh to be a pear tree – any tree in bloom! With kissing bees singing of the beginning of the world!” "The kiss of his memory made pictures of love & light against the wall."